After signing the petition, please consider calling, writing, or visiting your local representatives.
While an organic personal appeal is usually the most effective method in communicating with your representatives, we offer the below outline and script as a framework to organize thoughts. We hope you find both useful, but please understand scripts tend to lose effect quickly, as they lack the emotional impact of an individual narrative.
If you choose to speak from the heart here is an outline that may help you communicate your needs effectively.
- Identify yourself and that you live within that representative’s district.
- Make your request clear.
- e.g. “I urge you to put your support behind the striking workers from the WGA and SAG-AFTRA and help pressure the AMPTP to make a fair deal.“
- Explain why this is important to you.
- I have lost work
- I have lost/may lose my healthcare
- My family relies on the healthcare I receive from working
- My family relies on the money I bring in working on set
- Explain how this is important for your community.
- e.g. “I am one of over 640,000 workers who rely on the film industry in Los Angeles. We are voters and we are essential to powering the economy of Los Angeles and California.“
Though a personal appeal is considered best, a scripted email or phone call is more effective than silence.
If you would prefer to work off a script, we offer the below example:
Hello, my name is __________ and I am a film worker living in _________(city). I have been greatly impacted by the Labor Action involving the WGA, SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP and need your help.
Due to the AMPTP’s intentional slowdown of film and television work this year in anticipation of a strike from the WGA, and the complete shutdown of what work there was available, I am unable to find employment. This creates obvious hardship for me, and also means that I am in immediate danger of losing my health insurance.
Please support me by requesting that the AMPTP step in to prevent thousands of workers and our families from losing our homes, careers and healthcare.
This work stoppage impacts more than just myself and my fellow film workers. This matters to us all, and it is imperative that we have your support to convince the AMPTP to protect us from losing our insurance, and to push the AMPTP to see reason and negotiate in good faith with the WGA and SAG-AFTRA to end this strike.
My livelihood and healthcare access relies on my ability to work, and the health of our district depends on the workers in the film and television industry. If we are not working, we are also not able to help support the local economy.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Thank you for taking the time to take action! Our union is strong because of our members.
If you would like to help with this campaign behind the scenes, please feel free to reach out to me at [email protected].