Deferments Program for Local 80 Members Amidst Economic Challenges
During the July 16, 2023, Executive Board Meeting, Local 80, addressed the financial difficulties faced by its members due to the ongoing economic challenges. Led by President Dana Baker and in collaboration with all three Local Trustees, and the Interim Secretary Treasurer, the Budget and Finance Committee proposed a motion to provide relief to its members through a Deferral Program. This article outlines the prerequisites for qualification, the rules to remain eligible, and the repayment terms of the program.
To qualify for the Deferments Program, members must meet the following criteria:
- Membership Status: The member must be current in their membership dues as of the first quarter of 2023, excluding any fees or fines under appeal or unknown to the member.
- Earnings Threshold: The member’s earnings must be below $10,000.00 in the prior quarter.
- Eligible Quarters: The quarters eligible for deferment begin with the 2nd quarter of 2023, starting from April 1, and each subsequent quarter for the duration of the WGA and SAG/AFTRA strike.
- Hardship Dues: Members qualifying for deferment will be required to pay a designated hardship dues amount for each quarter, $67.00.
- Repayment Start Date: Repayment will begin 210 days (7 months) after the last contract is signed between AMPTP (Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers) and both WGA (Writers Guild of America) and SGA (Screen Actors Guild).
- Repayment Amount: Members who qualify for deferment will be required to repay $100.00 per quarter, in addition to their future quarterly dues.
- Updated Contact Information: Members must keep their contact information up to date with the Local to ensure smooth communication.
- Availability Status: Members must keep their availability status updated with the Local to facilitate relevant work opportunities.
To apply for the Deferments Program, eligible members are required to fill out the application form available at the provided link https://forms.office.com/r/FJWZe2rNQ0. The application form will capture essential details about the member’s eligibility, financial situation, and contact information.
In times of economic hardship, the Local 80’s Deferments Program aims to provide some relief to its members facing financial challenges. By offering deferments and outlining the qualification criteria, rules for eligibility, and repayment terms, the union seeks to support its members during these trying times. The initiative reflects the commitment of Local 80’s leadership to stand by its members and navigate through the uncertainties posed by economic fluctuations in the entertainment industry.